The delicate peach colored accordion fold on a tissue tucked into the end of the toilet paper said it all. “THIS HOTEL HAS ATTENTION TO DETAIL!” It didn’t stop there. I was continually impressed with the accommodations at this beautiful waterfront hotel. As a photographer I loved taking pictures of its exterior and interior, and as an avid traveler I was grateful for the comfort it provided during our stay. This review of the Harbor Hotel in Watkins Glen includes many photos and thorough information to make your decision to book even easier.
Picture Perfect Waterfront Hotel in the Finger Lakes of NY
There is no doubt this hotel has some serious appeal from the moment you drive up to it. The care they took with the design and quality of their sign, alone, speaks volumes. There’s two ways to approach the “view” of this hotel: first by the street, of course, and the second by boat off Seneca Lake. Both views are beautiful! The landscaping is really impressive and the colors of the plants and flowers add to this luxury hotel’s allure.
Any hotel with a fireplace in its lobby is communicating a warm welcome to its guests – literally and figuratively. It’s a hearth that invites you to stay a while. There are always fresh flowers on the center table along with the daily newspaper, and friendly staff to greet you at the front desk. The common area in the “back” of the hotel (or side closest to Seneca Lake) also has a welcoming fire pit to enjoy during the day or in the evenings. It’s the perfect place to cozy up to a loved one during a romantic weekend getaway. Additional Adirondack chairs line the pathway so many guests can enjoy a waterfront view and seat at all times.
Onsite dining is also available for three meals each day. Their Coldwater Bar is the perfect place for an evening or pre-dinner cocktail before heading to their Blue Pointe Grille for dinner. Or, in the morning, enjoy an outdoor breakfast on The Patio.
The hallways showcase the upkeep of the hotel is an utmost priority. The water color palette is matched even in the guest room corridors. Bright daylight bulbs in sconces and overhead lighting illuminate the way through white wainscot panelling and cool-toned blue hued walls.
I opened the door to my room and was delighted by the “Cape Cod” inspired design. The colors were calming and the bed called to me! I am a huge fan of throw pillows, thus seeing them so elegantly placed on each bed made me smile; an embroidered “HH” on the front one was the icing on the cake. The wainscotting from the hallways was echoed in the rooms from the headboards, to table for two, to a vanity seat, and finishes in the bathroom.
I thoroughly enjoyed sitting at the vanity and using the provided cosmetic mirror and additional lighting to apply makeup before dinner that evening. It’s a nice addition to the bathroom and I felt an important detail in this review of the Harbor Hotel in Watkins Glen. Little things like that go a long way in helping them stand out amongst other hotels I’ve been to! So did the beautiful granite countertops, superior bath products and full standing, completely tiled shower. Even the toilet paper and tissue box stood out!
Here is additional helpful information regarding guest rooms and services:
- Guests enjoy complimentary, high speed wifi
- Hotel is 100% non-smoking
- Each floor has coffee stations in the morning near the elevators – the Harbor Hotel has said “no” to unsightly, unsanitary brewers in the rooms (hallelujah) and fresh, complimentary coffee is available at the start of each day (just follow the smell of fresh java)
- Guests are invited to use a state of the art fitness center and indoor heated pool
- 24-hour room service is available with a limited menu
- Each room has a high definition, flat screen tv
- Safety deposit boxes are available at the hotel’s front desk near the main lobby
- Pets are not allowed in the hotel
- Nightly turndown service is topped off with delicious chocolates on your pillow
- Beds have high thread count, luxury cotton sheets
- The hotel has 104 luxury guest rooms and suites
- Check in is at 4:00pm and check out at 11:00am
Book Your Stay
Here’s a few things to consider when booking your stay:
- Time of year: If you’re planning on staying during a peak time (generally the summer) be sure to book very much in advance, especially for a weekend.
- Promotional packages: The hotel runs a variety of wonderful getaway packages, from a romantic Valentine’s Day special to Winter Weekdays, to something they call a Bed and Breakfast Package. Be sure to check current options.
- Various views are available to book (for example, a Lake View and Village View) as are various room sizes, from your usual king and queen, to suites and rooms with jacuzzis.
- Seneca Lake Wine Events: Consider yourself a wine enthusiast? Be sure to check out the many events on the Seneca Lake Wine Trail website to see if one corresponds to any dates you wish to visit the region.
We hope this review of the Harbor Hotel in Watkins Glen made your decision to book your reservation even easier if you’re visiting the Finger Lakes!
Heading to the area? Also check out:
- Your Complete Guide to a Day in Corning, New York
- Romantic Weekend Escape in the Finger Lakes, NY
- Inside the Coolest Museum in Western New York: Corning Museum
What’s a favorite waterfront hotel you’ve stayed at or dream of visiting?