8 Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway

I’ve been to Norway several times. Summer and winter are both appealing. It’s hard for me to admit winter may be the best time to go because I am a warm weather girl through and through. I visited one winter while living in New York; I figured if I was going to be cold somewhere in January it may as well be Scandinavia, right? Here’s 8 Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway.

Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with a photo of the Frognerseteren Restaurant covered in snow.

1. Magical Snowy Scenery is Plentiful

If the thought of a “Winter Wonderland” pulls at your heartstrings this is the place for you. You’re nearly guaranteed to see snow somewhere (if not everywhere) you go in Norway during January. I felt like I was in an episode of The Vikings as we walked around Oslo’s Norsk Folkemuseum, covered in snow. Could you faint from the beauty? I could! And we saw scenery like this everywhere we went, not just at the outdoor museum.

Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with a photo of a traditional wooden Stave Church covered in snow in Oslo's Norsk Folkemuseum.

2. There are Less Tourists

During summer there are tons of tourists no matter where you go. The weather’s nice, people are flocking to the region and of course the country’s residents are out and about soaking up the sunshine and green grass covering the ground. But I felt like I had the place to myself in winter. Which is just another valid reason why January is the best time to visit Norway. The photo below was taken at the Royal Palace in Oslo during the afternoon with only four other people in sight. (It’s darker in the afternoons there because the days are shorter in January.) The photo pictured above, of the stave church, would make you think we had the museum to ourselves. We pretty much did.

Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with a photo of the Royal Palace in Oslo covered with snow.

3. Sunrise is Later

I’m not a morning person, but I am a photo person. Sunrise has never been so easy to capture as it is in January because it’s later! As previously mentioned, days are much shorter in Norway during January. Sunrise is around 9:15am and sunset is around 3:30pm. Sure, that makes daylight hours less plentiful and more precious. But when you can capture an image like this pink and purple sunrise on the Opera House in Olso without waking up at 6:00am can you really complain? And yet, another reason why January is the best time to visit Norway!

Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with a photo of the Opera House in Oslo during a pink sunrise, covered with snow.

4. It’s Not THAT Cold Everywhere

I thought I was crazy to visit Norway during one of its coldest months. Would I freeze and get frostbite? Norwegian’s have a famous saying, “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.” Be prepared and logical in your packing list and you’ll be okay.

In Oslo and Bergen, especially, I found myself dressing in lighter layers than I expected.

The only place I thought frostbite could truly be a problem was in Tromso, in the arctic circle. (I recall taking a trip up a mountain to see an aerial view of the city and not being able to feel my toes through my layers of multiple thick socks and snow boots. No joke – I knew frostbite was a real threat in that moment and it was time to defrost in front of a heater. I quickly traveled back down the mountain to get warm.)

I ordered anything I thought may warm me up before I left for the trip as I prepared my bags! I purchased insulated leggings and made sure I had jeans baggy enough to wear over them. I bought Gortex mittens. Hand warmers were purchased in bulk. Hats, scarves and long sleeve shirts were plentiful. (You may think that sounds like a crazy list but trust me – I used it all in Tromso, especially.)

But the point is – pack right and you’ll be a-okay. And it really isn’t that cold in many of the southern cities in Norway.

5. Breathtaking Northern Lights

As soon as you learn what the Northern Lights are (also known as Aurora Borealis) it’s likely to be a fast addition to your bucket list. It’s truly one of the most gorgeous things I’ve ever laid eyes on. This scientific phenomenon is the sun’s electrically charged particles reaching the earth’s atmosphere. It’s science in motion. Neon signs in nature. Watching the animation unfold before me was wild. The thing way I can describe it is imagine an invisible person skywriting with glow sticks. I’m almost speechless recalling the experience, trying to communicate its wonder.

Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with a photo of the Northern Lights in Tromso. Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with a photo of the Northern Lights in Tromso.

6. Cost are Generally Lower

Since it’s not a popular time to visit the country, as a whole, prices are more affordable particularly for tours and accommodations. Consider this a major bonus because Norway is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and prices coincide with that fact. Small savings on hotels and Air BnBs could be the difference in making it an affordable trip to consider.

7. Delicious Comfort Food at Its Best

Norwegian’s have some of the most delicious, delectable comfort food. Reindeer soup, sausages, warm fish cakes with potatoes and great coffee all make me yearn for January in Norway. Having all these things during summer just isn’t the same.

Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with a photo coffee and pastries in a cafe in Bergen.

8. Awesome Snow Sports and Activities

When you live in the cold you adapt to it, including what sports your culture embraces. Norway’s winter sports are impressive and invigorating!

Here are a few activities you may see or participate in during January in Norway, particularly in the north:

• Sleigh rides with reindeer
  • Ice sculpture competitions
  • Humpback Whale Watching
  • Dog Sledding

I was lucky I happened to be in Tromso during an ice sculpture competition. But if I traveled back there in January again (which is likely) I’d be sure to go in the first half of the month. This would ensure I could go on a Humpback Whale Watching excursion. Another reason why January is the best time to visit Norway is because by the end of the month, and certainly Febraury and beyond, their migration through Tromso is over and they’ve left the region.

Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with a photo of an ice sculpture competition in Tromso.

If this has piqued your curiosity about Norway also check out:

Would you visit Norway in January?Reasons Why January is the Best Time to Visit Norway with photoa and advice!

Share:

26 Comments

1. October 13, 2017 / 6:00 pm

This is a convincing argument for visiting in winter! I would have never thought to go in winter. I live in upstate NY and we average 12 ft of snow a year, so traveling to more snow doesn’t exactly appeal to me, but humpback whales, ice sculptures, and the northern lights could change my mind!

• October 16, 2017 / 12:28 pm

I know – I totally hear you! But it’s so wonderful in winter. If you’re going to be cold in upstate NY regardless, may as well have a change of scenery and experiences in Norway, right?

2. October 20, 2017 / 9:39 pm

Convinced as well!! It’s definitely going on my bucket list! I went to Bodo in Norway in November and it was amazing. Cold and dark but truly amazing. The atmosphere, the snow, the landscapes… (didn’t get to see the northern lights – you’re so lucky!)

• October 20, 2017 / 10:44 pm

I’m glad we stayed a few nights to maximize our potential to see the Northern Lights! It was worth it. Fingers crossed you get to see them soon!

3. October 29, 2017 / 4:05 pm

Great post and photos! I have been trying to gather up courage for a winter trip to Europe…and those Northern Lights look so stunning!

• October 29, 2017 / 5:37 pm

If there’s any great motivation for a winter trip the Northern Lights is certainly a good one! <3

4. January 14, 2018 / 6:47 am

I would have thought it would be bloody cold, so it’s good that you made it clear. I don’t actually mind the cold as long as there is a lot of snow. I love snow. And Norway certainly delivers. Such wonderful photos!

• January 17, 2018 / 2:12 am

Snow isn’t guaranteed of course BUT there’s a good chance there will be snow in the winter in Norway ESPECIALLY in the north!!! Thank you for your compliments on my photos! 😉

5. January 14, 2018 / 9:34 am

I’ve always wanted to visit a Scandinavian country in winter to see the Northern Lights and it definitely sounds like Norway is a good choice. I’ve never experienced snow before so I was quite taken with that photo. Travelling in off season is always a good idea because you can get cheaper accommodation and less tourists everywhere. Shame about the limited daylight hours though! It would make it harder to go out and see all the things that you would want.

• January 17, 2018 / 2:20 am

You must experience snow!!! Where do you live?
      The daylight is challenging to see things however they’re so well adapted to it, it doesn’t hinder much expect for seeing/photographing things in sunlight.

6. January 14, 2018 / 2:25 pm

I like and agree with all the reasons you quote for visiting Norway in winters. The activities are different at that time of the year, especially with the snow..that sounds wonderful. And as the Norwegians say… “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.”

• January 17, 2018 / 2:21 am

Exactly! 😉 Thanks for your comment, Punita!

7. January 14, 2018 / 5:46 pm

Being from Canada, I feel like I could handle the cold. After all, like you said, it’s cold at home anyway! Norway looks like such a magical winter wonderland. I don’t mind that the daylight hours are a little less…because you can see the northern lights! Amazing 🙂

• January 16, 2018 / 3:28 am

That’s the spirit! 🙂 Plus the right clothes and jackets account for a lot of preparedness for visits in the winter!

8. Archana Singh
    January 15, 2018 / 6:19 am

I am a big fan of visiting places in their offseason. You get to see more at far lesser cost. Last year I did Finland at around the same time and really loved my experience. Norway is really high on my list and your article just convinced me more to plan it in winters.

• January 17, 2018 / 2:31 am

Yes, totally agree. I want to go to Finland too. Glad to hear you loved it there!

9. January 15, 2018 / 8:50 pm

Okay, you have me rethinking my trip to Oslo in August. I would love to see the Nothern Lights again and I like that it is less touristy. The comfort food has to be my favorite.

• January 16, 2018 / 12:19 am

Oslo in August is much different than the winter. If you want to see the Northern Lights you’ll have to go outside the city regardless – but it’s more likely you’ll see them in winter.

10. January 16, 2018 / 7:33 am

I so agree with everything you’ve written – I visited Oslo in January and it was completely magical. The lighting was super special, especially just as the sun went down. You’ve captured it perfectly with your picture of the Royal Palace. It was blimmin’ cold though!

• January 16, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Thank you so much for your compliments, Samantha! It was great to walk around in the magic of the season with barely any tourists to contend with!

11. January 16, 2018 / 8:57 am

I’ve only been to Norway once to visit Oslo, but this trip definitely makes me want to return! I completely agree with what you say that there is no such thing as bad weather – I love that attitude to being able to enjoy the weather no matter what it throws as you. When you visited, did you also do dog sledding? I’d love to do that but am always worried about how much it would cost!

• January 16, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Positive attitude is half the battle! 🙂 I didn’t do dog sledding…I know a lot of winter sports are costly. I’ve heard good things and that the dogs love doing it. Just thinking of them working so hard makes me feel torn though!

12. January 16, 2018 / 7:10 pm

You have given us the perfect reasons to visit the place in January or I say winters. Everything covered in snow, with less tourist and those crazy Northern lights will be perfect. I guess it will be cost effective too.

• January 17, 2018 / 2:43 am

It’s perfect in the winter. I hope you visit! 🙂 You won’t be disappointed.

13. January 17, 2018 / 1:25 am

I’ve been to Norway a few times now, but only ever in winter. And I have to agree that it is gorgeous with the snow. I also love Arctic Norwegian food with the reindeer and root purées, plus the seafood.

• January 17, 2018 / 2:40 am

Yes!!! Great call on the reindeer. Eating that just wouldn’t be as comforting in the summer!